Becoming a first-time homeowner should be one of the most exciting times in a person's life, so Home Stretch classes are here to help make the process smooth, simple, and enjoyable. In a one-day class, you'll cover the entire home buying process from start to finish. Through the information you're presented with, you will become a knowledgeable and prepared consumer, and you'll leave the class feeling confident about your journey to homeownership. Attending a Home Stretch class will help you be able to:
- Determine your financial situation
- Understand credit and how it affects the costs of homeownership
- Decide what type of mortgage is best for you
- Select the right home for your family
- Understand the loan closing process
- Find special programs just for first-time homebuyers, and more!
Our broker, Nene Matey-Keke, is a certified first-time homebuyer instructor. As such, Nene has successfully helped guide many members of diverse and underserved populations on their path to homeownership. Organizations he has spoken for include:
- Model Cities, the largest African-American-operated CDC in the state of Minnesota
- African Development Center, which provides resources to guide African immigrants and refugees to economic prosperity
- Neighborhood Development Alliance (NeDA), a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the financial and social well-being of the vibrant Minnesotan community
- NeighborWorks Home Partners, whose mission is to stabilize and revitalize neighborhoods and communities by providing homeownership related services to the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area
- PRG, Inc., a trusted non-profit organization in Minneapolis since 1976
- Umoja Community Development Center, whose vision is to build inclusive communities where all people can attain homeownership and benefit from community development opportunities
Nene has also taught for the following community organizations:
- Carver County Community Development Agency
- Community Action Partnership of Suburban Hennepin
- Dakota County Community Development Agency
- Minneapolis Urban League: Realizing the American Dream
Contact us to find out which Home Stretch class Nene will be presenting at next or to get more info on what it takes to become a first-time homeowner.
In addition to teaching classes for first-time homebuyers, Nene also leads adult enrichment courses for communities across the Twin Cities Metro Area. Topics range from tips & secrets for getting the most out of your real estate transaction to becoming a successful real estate investor to purchasing a second/resort property nationally or internationally. As a REALTOR®, Nene has access to a wealth of resources and he wants to share his knowledge with you. Register below orcontact us to find out when Nene will be teaching a class in your neighborhood!
Downsizing Done Right: Buying and Selling as an Empty Nester or Senior
Thursday, June 22nd, 6:30-8:30pm, Fridley Community Center ENROLL NOW
Whether you're empty-nesters looking to downsize or “right-size”, retirees hoping to settle abroad, or a caretaker for an aging parent who needs to sell their home to be closer to you, this class will help you identify your next steps in the real estate process. You will learn how to determine the housing options that fit your family’s needs best (including senior apartments, accessory dwelling units, and assisted living). Discover resources for clearing clutter and auctioning personal property. If aging in place is a consideration, determine the best modifications to make staying at home functional and safe. From finding mother-in-law suites to movers to mortgage companies abroad, this class will provide the information you need to relocate or right-size with ease.
10 Tips for Successfully Selling Your Home – Any Time of the Year!
Thursday, June 29th, 6:30-8:30pm, Fridley Community Center ENROLL NOW
Learn how to determine the value of your property in today's market. Assess the differences between a seller’s market and a buyer’s market, and understand the seasonality and cyclical nature inherent to the market. Discover the repairs and improvements that will offer the best return on investment, learn about the value of staging, and become familiar with the process of working with contractors. Define the key ways to identify a good agent versus a bad agent. Leave the class feeling empowered and prepared to sell your home successfully!
Wills, Estates, and Probate – Oh My!
Thursday, July 20th, 6:30-8:30pm, Fridley Community Center ENROLL NOW
Losing a loved one is tough and the last thing you want to worry about is settling their estate, especially if you don’t understand the oft-complicated probate process. In this class, you will discover how to navigate the intricacies of wills, estate settlements, and conservatorship. Whether you plan to keep an inherited home or sell it to share the proceeds, you will learn how to properly transfer title or sell the property for the best possible price. The class will prepare you for the myriad of challenges that can arise throughout the estate settlement process. Identify specialized resources including clean-up and storage services, contractors, and financial planners. Leave the class feeling relieved and empowered!